Tuesday, May 29, 2012

 Alterations, simple alterations. So, I've lost a lot of weight lately, and most of my clothes are getting way too big. I thought I would try my hand at some alterations. I value my time at $25.00 an hour (at the very least), so if something takes an hour or less to alter, I find it worth my time to attempt it and not just look for it on Ebay. This was my first attempt at changing a size 10 skirt (right) into a size 6 skirt (left). If you look carefully at the skirt on the right, you can see that it is pretty loose for a pencil, and the extra width makes the skirt sag down, which makes the length a little dowdy (most of my pencils hit me mid knee, even though it looks like they are longer from the way I shoot these pictures).
I chose this particular skirt to start with because it had no lining and no waistband, so it was pretty straightforward sewing. I took 1 inch off each side, and the result looked absolutely perfect; I even managed to keep the stripes evenly matched.
This took me about an hour, but that included trouble shooting the iron, so . . . a really complicated alteration would probably send me Ebay haunting, but for these simple pencil skirts, it's probably worth the effort. Yeah! now I have 3 skirts I can wear that fit.
Shoreline Stripe Pencil Skirt in Tropical, Talbots; Smocked Ruffle Scoopneck Tee in Fern Leaf, Talbots; Jewelry, Gift from UCAS.



No comments:

Post a Comment